Oshawa Public Libraries

2014-01 Events-January February

Issue link: http://oshawapubliclibraries.uberflip.com/i/231534

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 6 of 31

1876 McLaughlin Carriage Company produced it's first 15 vehicles in Oshawa. 1864 Oshawa Mechanics Institute was organized in a room behind the bookstore of D. Allin. Albert Street and Mary Street schools were built. 1865 John S. Larke purchased an interest in the 1877 J.H. Beers & Company, Toronto published an Vindicator and issued a paper under the name of Luke & Larke from 1865 to 1879. 1866 Oshawa School Board was established consisting of 3 board members. 1867 Cedar Dale Public School opened. McLaughlin Carriage Company began building buggies and cutters in Tyrone. 1879 Oshawa was incorporated as a town effective established. 1870 Keddy & Coedy Harness Making and Repairing was established on Simcoe Street North. Oshawa's first fire department was organized. It was entirely made up of volunteers. 1871 Dominion Bank opened a branch on Simcoe Street South, which is now the TD-Canada Trust Bank. Colonel Sam McLaughlin was born on September 8. 1872 Ontario Malleable Iron Company was founded by John and William Cowan. 1873 Ontario Loan and Savings Company was organized. The town of Oshawa purchased it's first steam fire engine for $70,00.00 1874 Queen's Hotel, on Simcoe Street North was established. 1875 The DeMill College was built. The school officially opened on February 1, 1876 and was destroyed by fire on April 6, 1896. R= Registration required S= Drop-in program January 1, 1879 by the Ontario Legislature. The population was approximately 3,800. 1880 Currie & Davis General Insurance Agency was 1869 McLaughlin Carriage Company moved to Enniskillen. historical sketch of Ontario County describing the earliest settlements surrounding Oshawa. Robert McLaughlin invented the McLaughlin Patent Buggy Gear. 1882 Western Bank of Canada Head Office opened in Oshawa. It is now the CIBC. 1883 First recorded strike in Oshawa took place by a local of the Ontario Malleable Iron Works. 1884 A. R. Farewell established a boot and shoe business at 81 Simcoe Street South. 1885 S. Torrens Retail Dry Goods was established at 19 King Street West. 1886 Robson Leather Company was started by James Robson. 1887 The library moves over Higgenbottoms Drugstore 1888 J.E. Beaton Groceries and China Store was established. Electricity was turned on in Oshawa and electric street lighting began. 1889 W. F. Cowan is elected as Mayor of Oshawa. When he left office in 1894, Oshawa had the smallest municipal debt of any town in Canada - less than $35,000. Registration: 905-579-6111 7

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Oshawa Public Libraries - 2014-01 Events-January February